- Union Programs
- Welfare and Legal Services
Frequently Asked Questions
Welfare and Mutual Benefit Plan
What are the requirements for WMBP Benefits?
For information go to Processes & Requirements.
What is the profile of WMBP benefits given during the last 5 years?
Here is the summary of benefits given to members and/or beneficiaries from 2010 to 2015
I have received my Provident Fund, can I still claim AID-Death Financial Assistance?
Yes, provided you fulfill the requirements of AID-Death Assistance. The Provident Fund and AID-Death Assistance are two separate programs.
If a seaman dies after disembarkation, will he be entitled to a funeral service benefits?
No. Only active bona fide members are entitled to funeral service allowance.
If the minor child and wife of a married member died when he is on board vessels with AMOSUP CBA, is he entitled to Clause B & C?
Yes, he will receive both Clause B & C provided he is an AMOSUP member for at least three years.
In filing for requirements for WMBP, is there are a period for forfeiture of the benefit?
Who are qualified to avail of legal services?
All bonafide members of the AMOSUP, may consult and/or seek representation from the Legal Affairs Office for grievances/cases involving your employer.
Do the AMOSUP lawyers handle all the cases for/against its members free-of-charge including assistance in criminal cases?
They handle cases only that arise from employment in vessels covered by AMOSUP CBAs
If I were forced to resign or fired from any CBA-covered vessel am I still qualified to avail of legal services?
Yes, if the case is about dismissal from employment
What reliefs shall I /my heirs seek in case of the following:
- ILLEGAL DISMISSAL – Basic wage corresponding to the unexpired portion of the contract
- Death compensation
- Funeral allowance
- Additional benefit to minor children
- Or death benefits by virtue of R.A. 10022 (no fault clause)
- WORK RELATED – DISABILITY
- Hospitalization Benefit
- Sickness Allowance
- Disability Compensation
- Accrued Wages
- Or benefits by virtue of R.A. 10022 (no fault clause)
If my illness is not covered by the CBA, does that mean that I will get nothing?
NO – the provisions of the POEA on Disability benefits will apply as long as the illness is work related
How will I qualify to claim my contribution?
A member is qualified to claim his contributions if he is either:
- Fifty (50) years old; or
- Has been a member of the Fund for ten (10) years; or
- Has been inactive form the Fund for two (2) years counted from the date of his last disembarkation.
What are the requirements to be able to claim my contributions?
- AMOSUP I.D.
- Personal letter addressed to our President, Dr. Conrado F. Oca, requesting for the withdrawal of your contributions;
- Letter of endorsement from the company/is where you earned the contributions;
- Updated Provident Fund Passbook
- Photocopy of the Residence Certificate for the current year from barangay/city hall
In cases of disability, the additional requirements are:
- Medical Certificate stating the type of sickness and declaring the member as permanently disabled to work as a seaman.
In cases of death, the additional requirements are:
- NSO Death Certificate of the member;
- NSO Marriage Contract with register number; and
- AMOSUP Dependent’s I.D
- Cedula of the dependent for the current year
How long does it take to process my application for the claim?
Processing of application for claim takes two (2) weeks.
Is it possible to file my claim at the satellite offices of AMOSUP?
Yes, it is possible. We have trained personnel who can assist you in filing your application at our hospitals in Cebu, Davao, and Iloilo. Upon completion of all the requirements, they will take care of transmitting your application/requirements to the Provident Fund Office in Manila.
Widow/Widower Survivorship Pension Fund
What are its benefits?
In the event of death of a Seafarer, while working on board or while traveling to or from a covered ship or vessel, his/her designated beneficiary/ies will receive the following death benefits:
For CBAs of JSU. TCCC-NONIBF, NIS, and Norwegian Model Agreement:
- If the deceased Seafarer is a RATING, the beneficiary will receive a monthly benefit of TWO HUNDRED FIFTY DOLLARS (US$250.00) for a fixed non-extendible period of sixty (60) months.
- If the deceased Seafarer is an OFFICER, the beneficiary will receive a monthly benefit of THREE HUNDRED SEVENTY-FIVE DOLLARS (USS375. 00) for a fixed non-extendible period of sixty (60) months.
For CBA of TCCC-IMEC:
- If the deceased Seafarer is a RATING, the beneficiary will receive a monthly benefit of TWO HUNDRED SEVENTY-FIVE DOLLARS (US$275. 00) for a fixed non-extendible period of sixty (60) months.
- If the deceased seafarer is an OFFICER, the beneficiary will receive a monthly benefit of FOUR HUNDRED TWELVE AND 50/100 DOLLARS (USS412. 50) for a fixed non-extendible period of sixty (60) months.
The payment of the foregoing benefits shall be subject to any and all applicable taxes or similar fees and charges unless a contrary final ruling is issued by the Bureau of Internal Revenue or any appropriate taxing authority or agency of the Philippine government.
After the death of a Seafarer, the payment of the monthly benefit shall commence twenty-four (24) months following the valid and due payment of the death compensation. However, no monthly benefit shall commence to be paid until after final resolution of any pending actions/disputes arising from such payment of the death compensation.
The payments of the monthly benefits shall be made to an account opened and maintained by the Beneficiary with any branch of the depository/Trustee Bank.
Am I qualified for the Fund?
You are qualified if you’re a seafarer, whether an officer or rating, who is covered by a Collective Bargaining Agreement while working on board or while traveling to or from the vessel as of the effective date of the benefit according to the CBA is covered by the Plan as of such date.
Any seafarer employed under an existing CBA after this date shall be covered by the Plan on the first day of the month coincident with or next following his working on board a covered vessel.
Upon being covered by the Plan, a seafarer shall nominate in writing, his/her beneficiary/ies. A Seafarer may nominate any of the persons listed below in the same specified order:
- The surviving legitimate spouse, if the seafarer is married;
- The seafarer’s legitimate unmarried child or children under the age of 21 at the time of nomination, if the legitimate spouse pre-deceases the seafarer;
- The surviving parents or parent, in case the seafarer is unmarried and;
- Any other person or entity named by the seafarer, in the absence of the foregoing.
If at the death of a Seafarer, he has not made valid nomination of his/her beneficiary/ies the following persons then surviving, will be the beneficiary/ies, in the order stated below:
- Legitimate spouse;
- Legitimate unmarried child or children under the age of 21;
- Parent / Parents
Will there be cases when the payment of benefits may be denied?
Yes. If the death of a seafarer arises on account of self-inflicted injuries, suicide or any criminal act attributable to him, no benefit under the Plan shall be paid to the Beneficiary.
The monthly benefit shall also be subject to review and may be adjusted by the Board of Trustees. Unless otherwise determined by the Board of Trustees, no death benefit shall be paid to the designated beneficiary unless remittances by the Employer of the monthly contribution to cover the deceased Seafarer at the time of his death are complete or made current and up-to-date.
What if a nominated beneficiary dies?
The Seafarer may then nominate or appoint another person or persons as his/her beneficiary/ies.
What if a nominated widow/widower remarries?
Upon the remarriage of the surviving legitimate spouse, who was named as a beneficiary, he/she shall immediately lose the right to receive the unpaid balance of the monthly benefit, which shall be forfeited in favor of the Fund. The Fund shall be reimbursed for any payments made to and received by the surviving legitimate spouse in bad faith after such remarriage.
What if there is more than one beneficiary?
Should there be more than one designated beneficiary, the benefit shall be shared equally by all of the designated beneficiaries jointly in a single account with the Trustee.
Activity and Wellness Centers
Who are qualified?
Active members, qualified dependents and industry social partners are qualified to avail of this privilege.
What are the requirements?
For Members and their qualified dependents:
- AMOSUP I.D. Card
- Proof of line-up or disembarkation (Seamen’s Book, dispatch slip, allotment slip, etc.)
For industry social partners:
- Letter request addressed to AMOSUP President (subject to availability of the facilities)
Is the use of Activity Center free?
Activity and Wellness Center and its benefits are free-of-charge to active bona fide members, their qualified dependents and industry social partners of AMOSUP.
Family Medical and Dental Plan
- Programs & Services
Frequently Asked Questions
Processes & Requirements
- Basic Needs
- Education and Training
- Family Medical and Dental Plan